It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 11:36

All times are UTC

Post subject: Problem with Runes
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2018, 13:58 

Game name: Angie Looper
Runes are terribly executed in their current form and make it entirely undesirable to be inanimate or to have inanimate player items, and here's why:

Previously, item stats would scale based on the level of the psychopath or player trapped inside of the item. The items have a base stat at level 1, and every level after that adds +10% of the base stats for the item onto the stats granted by the item. This makes higher level items better, and makes player items infinitely more desirable for their levels beyond 9 (the level cap for psychopaths) despite requiring more effort to acquire and them having the ability to slip free or struggle.

The new rune system removes all forms of item level scaling. Each item has one rune slot regardless of level. You get a rune and you put it in your item. It grants flat stats based on the type of rune you put in. Those stats don't scale based on the items level at all. If you are an inanimate player, your level is meaningless and does nothing now for your owner. If you transform a level 1 psychopath and put a rune into it, it will grant the same bonuses as a level 20 player transformed into an item with the same rune would.

This is going to lead to a number of problems if the rune system continues to stay in the game as it is.

1. Less PvP interactions. Why would you care about transforming or persuading someone to stay as your item if you can just transform a psychopath and get the exact same thing?
    2. Reduced interest in the game from inanimate players. I imagine many inanimate players will be unable to find owners that want or care about player items while in the previous system players would be going as far as to beg the items to stay with them as they leveled up. Leveled up player items will now more than ever, only exist to be sold to Lindella for a chunk sum of money, since there is absolutely no reason to use a higher leveled item over one simply from a psychopath.

I hope these problems will be addressed. I hope the rune system isn't going to be left as it currently is, because the only saving grace is you can still find scaling items by being a reusable consumable item, but only the ones that directly recover willpower/mana! All the buff granting reusable consumable items have no form of item level scaling in the current state of the game. I have a few suggestions to improve the rune system so that these problems don't arise.

1. Make stats granted from runes scale alongside with the items level just as it did with regular items.
    2. Have items unlock more slots for runes based on the items level, promoting another form of scaling.

I would like to say I really enjoy the idea of runes. The idea of being able to be any item and grant your owner whatever stats they want is amazing. It will result in seeing more item type variety being used in the game instead of players having to worry about viability. Boring/static builds aside, if implemented correctly addressing these problems I think it will be very fun.

Post subject: Re: Problem with Runes
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2018, 18:38 

when i read about the changes, it took a little while do realize the effects it would have on the game as a whole and its effects on my playstyle.

first of all, i would have much perferred it if there would have been a forum post made informing the community about the upcoming changes and/or giving the reasoning behind the changes as i dont get why the changes have been made. the only people i really see this benefitting are RP players that want their builds and items to be 'competitive' or a certain build.

for players that primarily RP and do little else, they either aquire no items, or just a few that fit them or form a outfit.
personally i dont play very activly, and usualy gather items just lying about town. to now discover that these items are pretty much just glorified cosmetics until i gather enough coins to go and find the shop and buy a plus 3 or 5 to a SINGLE stat.. is just not worth it to me, not to mention the current cost. its the same one would spend on a actual item.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 00:17 
Transformania Admin

Game name: changes every player
Before I go into a larger reply, are you aware that runes can be removed from items? They are not permanently bound; you can swap them out and upgrade them with progressively stronger runes. Souled items that keep on increasing their level can keep receiving more powerful runes.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 03:17 

Judoo wrote:
Before I go into a larger reply, are you aware that runes can be removed from items? They are not permanently bound; you can swap them out and upgrade them with progressively stronger runes. Souled items that keep on increasing their level can keep receiving more powerful runes.

I am aware. So what was wrong with the previous 10 scaling stats to an item system? Why add a convoluted 5-tier flat stat rune system for merely the sake of convolution and to remove item level scaling from the game if you're only going to restrict 1 stat per item anyway? All it does is force you to re-balance the game around the lower stats, add a cash sink to make players waste time, needlessly increases the complexity of the game making it harder to start for new players in addition to stuff like stat descriptions being outdated/misleading, and it makes inanimate players not want to play because they're less desired. Boss runes only for level 11+ player items? Why bother, boss drops were fine before and they're so rare most of the inanimate player base will feel worthlessly stuck as being capped as good as a level 9 psychopath item would get anyway. Why would you add a rune system to improve the variety/ease of access for the inanimate experience just to ruin the inanimate experience? Keep the game to what it was with 10 level scaling stats per item, make runes 1-tier and simply grant 10 scaling stats per item as they always have. Make runes incredibly cheap/free and/or make transformed items contain preset runes based on the item type and use the gear tool https://www.transformaniatime.com/Info/GearTool to tell you what item defaults to what rune so that you can use that to take them out and get the runes you want easily without having to buy them while still having the option to play using preset rune items without having it affect how much time/effort it will take to acquire a set of usable starting gear early on in the round.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 12:43 

Game name: Chastity Meerkat
If anything, the rune system seems like it will make things significantly easier for new players because they can say "ooh, I want to carry a whip!" and make a whip and then decide what they want that whip to do. From a roleplaying perspective, decoupling the gameplay stats from the cosmetic item is a huge bonus and one that I've hoped to see for a long long time.

There have always been certain forms that are really really popular with people wanting to be turned into them for RP but, especially if you're concerned with fighting NPC bosses and possible PVP stuff, those forms haven't always been the most effective use of equipment slots. It's really good that now people can roleplay as happy jiggly boobs, for example, and still get help their owner zap down Donna Milton.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 14:11 

i would much, much rather see a system where items have a base stat line that could be augmented with runes, insead of having them be replaced, like a gem system in a lot of RPG's.

with runes in the current build, i think it removes the diversity in items. i like looking at a item's stats and understanding what it is. the udders improve regen.. but slow you down cause they are heavy, it makes sence. a lot of item discriptions also further re-enforce this idea of a item having a certain effect on the wearer's overall body or mind. with the removal of stats, that just goes out the window. and now you can have people running around with udder that improve agility.. or a bike that improves your perception.

i think for a new player, it might be a little demoralizing to be fighting a psycho or just find a item off the ground, have that celebration of 'Oh cool, an whip!' and then notice that in game terms its just as effective as thier fists untill the gather up enough coins to buy a rune.. or they get a rune that they want from a psycho

yes, decoupling gameplay from RP is a bonus for roleplayers that care about the things they wear. but i think its only a really big deal for those players. personally, i dont really care what i am wearing, and i just want a few stats here and there from the few items i use. but i dont want to have to go through these extra steps to give a plus 3 or 5 to a single stat per item. i just wont bother, and im running around in a cool outfit, but effectively im naked

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2018, 14:48 

Another bad thing about runes is that removing negative stat items makes the game even more player level heavy for determining outcomes in combat, especially so if runes stay as a cash sink or annoying to get since many players will be delayed in getting them or simply won't have runed items. Builds will all be almost the same since stats like Agility are simply useless due to Psychopaths having 80 perception.

Even if runes granted 10 scaling stats per item. That's only 100 stats per player. (80 from clothing, 20 from your pet.)
Players are used to dumping negative points in generally useless stats like agility or other situationally useless stats to achieve 150 baseline stats from their item sets which will be impossible now, effectively making itemization stat gains for players 66.7% weaker.

What will new builds look like with runes? Even if it stayed 100 points generally all builds will look similar or exactly the same.

50 points disicipline, 30 points charisma, 20 points magicka for general purposes
80 points charisma, 20 points magicka for offensive purposes
100 points magicka for faster transformations of psychopaths
30 points discipline, 30 points charisma, 30 points magicka, 10 points whatever for general purposes

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 10:39 

It would be nice if the level of an item added a small bonus to any attached rune. It would give souled items a reason to keep pushing for wacky high levels even if there were no real hope of their owner getting a wacky powerful rune.

ETA: Or maybe change the rune system so that you could put as many runes into an item up to a sum equaling the level of the item.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 10:52 

The rune system is a novel idea but not well executed. It's nice to finally be rid of feeling compelled to wear items you dislike the look/theme of just because it has stats you want. But it's not nice that runes themselves are itemized.

As they are now, runes:
Hog up inventory space when you don't have an item to slot it in.
Mandate more than twice the work and/or funds to gain stats. A rune by itself is useless, an item by itself is useless, you need to take the time and effort to get both to get any benefit.
Because of all the extra work needed, if you get inanimated, you now lose more than twice as hard as before. This system is going to encourage even more players to adopt annoying discipline-stacking builds to help keep all their progress.

Instead, I propose to remove runes as items, and instead make it so players are able to inscribe runes onto their equipment, to break my idea down:

Instead of obtaining runes as items, characters instead learn how to inscribe runes onto items directly.
Each character starts with the knowledge to inscribe the full set of minor runes.
Inscribing a rune onto an item consumes some mana, and can only be done every few turns. (5-ish? Whatever's long enough to prevent hot-swapping builds.)
Stronger runes can be learned from various sources - quests - jewdewfae encounters - rare scrolls from bosses/psycho drops/searching, et cetera.
Once you've learned a new rune, you're able to inscribe as many as you like. Inscribe runes for your friends and allies! (Though, as a side thought, maybe wearing too many of the same rune has diminishing returns - to discourage stat-stacking?)
(Maybe) If you're pet/inanimate-TF'd. Your owner should be able to use you to inscribe the runes you know!
(But most importantly!) Rune knowledge is preserved through the whole round. It's not something you'll lose through a brief stint as somebody's skirt.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2018, 22:18 
Transformania Admin

Game name: changes every player
The reason I want to move all the stats off of items is because it only brings back the original problem that this was trying to solve. If players are looking to min/max their stats and being in PvP, or have an equal chance at the bosses as other players, they'll still have to forsake their preferred items to optimize those stats and the entire rune system become moot.

The runes that exist now are just the basic ones. I do plan on adding more that are rarer or more unique that are more specialized, ie "Rune of the Rabid Rabbit" that gives 15 agility and -5 discipline, "Rune of the Knight", +20 discipline, -5 charisma, -5 agility. These may not be included in the first round of runes but are a longer-term goal.

I purposefully am trying to change up how you get your items and stats so it is an ongoing process, not just get a bunch of self-leveling souled items (or rule-breaking alt accounts...) and then never have to change anything up for the rest of the round ever.